How to Make a Housing Disrepair Claim




If you have problems with your housing, you have the right to bring a claim against the landlord. It is important to remember that you need to give them at least 21 days to repair any damages. If they are not able to do this, you can bring a case to a solicitor for housing disrepair. The solicitor will take on your case and cover all your legal fees. It is best to get in touch with a solicitor as soon as possible and provide them with the relevant physical evidence of the disrepair. The solicitors will then inspect your home and speak to the other tenants in the property.


Housing disrepair claims can be made for various losses that a tenant may have incurred as a result of their living conditions. This includes lost earnings, personal property, and the deterioration of a building’s interior and exterior. A tenant may also be entitled to claim for health-related problems. Depending on the severity of the condition and the duration of the illness, he or she may be able to receive compensation for both physical and mental suffering.

Damages from housing disrepair are calculated in accordance with the total amount of rent that a tenant must pay, in this case, 50% of the rent. This compensation can be taken in the form of a cash payment or a rebate from rent payments. The amount of compensation awarded will depend on the extent of the inconvenience and the duration of the disrepair.

Legal obligations

You may be able to bring a legal claim against your landlord for housing disrepair leeds if you feel your home is in dangerous condition. This legal process allows you to ask the landlord to repair the issue, as long as you can show that the landlord was aware of the problem and failed to fix it within a reasonable time. However, proving that a landlord was aware of a problem and did not fix it within a reasonable time may be difficult. Therefore, you should record any problems that you have encountered with your housing and contact your landlord as soon as you notice them.

You can also take action against your landlord for emotional distress if you have suffered as a result of the disrepair. In many cases, your landlord is responsible for most home repairs. However, they may not have to repair all of the problems in a home. If the damage to your home is extensive, you can take legal action and get compensation for the damages. If you have been unable to work, have suffered from ill health, or have experienced other negative effects from the disrepair, you may be entitled to compensation from your landlord.


If a repair is not carried out within this timescale, tenants can claim compensation. For further information, tenants can

read the Repairs and Maintenance section of the Tenant Handbook. This section will tell them about all the categories of repairs, including those that are rechargeable and which fall under the Right to Repair scheme.

In general, councils aim to carry out all repairs within 20 working days. However, there are cases when the repairs are delayed. In such cases, a landlord must notify tenants to make alternative arrangements.


If you are a tenant and you feel unsafe in your rental property, you may be able to claim compensation for housing disrepair. A landlord is required by law to provide safe living conditions and must remedy any disrepairs found on the property. Disrepairs in rental properties can cause discomfort and can even result in personal injury or sickness.

The amount of compensation you can claim depends on the severity and duration of your condition. For instance, if you have to move out of your house due to the disrepair, you may be eligible for a hundred percent of your rent.